What does the TV show Living Single, and being natural have to do with one another? Did you know that cast of the show were all natural haired divas during the 90’s? Well read further and I will tell you more about it.
During the early 90’s I was a shy, black, teen girl trying to survive high school. I grew up in a poor family so I made it my mission to get a job as soon job as soon as possible, so I could buy the things I wanted. Then at the age of 15 I finally got one! Ya’ll, you couldn’t tell me nothing! I could now buy all the clothes, eyeliner, and lip gloss I wanted! But, the best thing about work was I could finally start dabbling in some of the up-to-date hair styles I wanted to try. Yes indeed. I would spend hours in the mirror slicking, curling, and braiding my hair. Just because I was shy, didn’t mean my hair couldn’t look good!
Fast forward to 1993. One of the best years of my life. I graduated from high school and then later on that year found out I was pregnant with my first son. Yes ma’am, yes sir, I was on a roller coaster right of emotions.
During the summer of 1993 was when the TV show Living Single came on air. Living Single immediately became one of my favorite shows. Who could resist an intelligent cast of young, black, positive, trendy, and empowered individuals. With all the gang activity that was going on during that period of time, it was nice to cut on the TV see black folks actually laughing and not fighting one another.
What also caught my eye was the beautiful hairstyles these women were wearing. I was like a kid in a candy store trying to mimic their styles on my own head. The best thing about it was, each cast member was rocking their natural hair long before it became the “It” thing again.
Let me break it down by cast member:
- Khadijah James (Queen Latifah) – Got her hair pressed and flat ironed on a regular basis. Her hair was so straight and bouncy we all thought she had a perm. But no, her hairstylist just had major skills!
- Synclaire James (Kim Coles) – Had micro-braids that looked like they were flowing from her scalp. Many blessings to her hair stylist who kept her hair fresh to deaf at all times and left her edges intact!
- Regina “Regine” Hunter (Kim Fields) – She had every wig imaginable! She was the master of protective styles. But, did you know she had beautiful locs underneath the whole time!
- Maxine Shaw (Erika Alexander) had yarn braids that framed her face perfectly. I used to stare hard at the screen trying to figure out how they were so perfect, and looked like locs at the same time.
- Kyle Barker (T.C. Carson) – Had locs and through-out the years we got to follow his loc journey.
- Overton Wakefield Jones (John Henton) – Was bald and beautiful!
So there you have it. The cast of Living Single were a major influence on the Natural Hair Community way back then and are still an influencing us now thanks to Hulu streaming their show! So if you’ve never had a chance to experience these game changers in action, here is your chance.
With that said, I’m signing off for now so I can begin my Living Single Marathon.
Oh, don’t forget to
like, comment, share and subscribe! Talk to you later Roses!