If you already know me or if you are starting to get to know me, you know I have an intense love of all things natural hair, specifically my own natural hair. I put a lot of time & effort into my hair, and have done so my whole life. It is the one thing I do for myself that truly gives me joy. I love it, love it, love it!
Your natural hair is something that authentically belongs to you and no one else. It is a work of art. A crown of jewels no one can ever take away from you. And the best thing is, it grows straight out of our own heads; no purchase required!
How does any of this tie in to self-care you may ask? Keep reading and I will tell you.
Now time to get personal: As a woman, God has blessed me to be naturally nurturing. I’m a person who has always puts everyone else’s needs before my own. I will come to your rescue with help in a blink of an eye and think nothing of it. Speaking from experience, over time attending to everyone else’s needs and not your own will slowly eat away at you like a cancer! It can leave you with an anxiety disorder & depressed (among other things). At this point self-care becomes a must! Self-care is an essential tool needed to begin the healing process/or prevent mental illness all together!
I have been asked, “What forms of self-care will you implement this week?” My response was always, “I don’t know.” It really would take me a while to think of things I wanted to do for myself but probably wouldn’t get to do because of lack of time, motivation, or money.
According to the Fort Garry Women’s Resource Centre
Self care is care provided “for you, by you.” It’s about identifying your own needs and taking steps to meet them. It is taking the time to do some of the activities that nurture you. Self-care is about taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others.
So, one day I seriously thought about it and said to myself, “Olena do you realize you have been practicing a form of self-care all along?” Hmm, I have consistently made an effort towards caring for my natural hair myself through the years . Think about it fellow naturalistas. While caring for your own hair or having someone else do it for you, you will/are able to:
- Feel joy – Who doesn’t like their hair clean and looking good!
- Practice mindfulness – Concentrate on how you hair looks, smells, and feels. Take some deep breaths.
- Improve self-esteem – Due to all the compliments you surely will receive! 🙂
- Feel a sense of peace & accomplishment – Once you hair care session is done, you will be able to cross it off your list of things to do.
- Feel relaxed – There will be tension relieved when your scalp is massaged, or the heat of a hair dryer hits your shoulders
- Give you a chance to read – While deep conditioning, or sitting under a hair dryer
- Participate in retail therapy – Buying hair accessories, head wraps, or hair products is fun & will showcase your creativity.
- Initiate healthier living – When you drink more water, take vitamins, and eat more fruits & vegetables; it is good for your hair and also your health.
So do you see what I mean? In my opinion caring for my natural hair takes me to my happy place. It calms me down and allows me to express myself in my own original way. I truly appreciate all the love I have gotten on my Instagram platform,
olenarosanne 893 posts 620 followers 1,379 following ?Oregon Natural Hair Blogger ? OlenaRosanne.com ? SUBSCRIBE Special needs advocate & mental health warrior. Mom to 2 boys ⛪Team Jesus olenarosanne.com
just for pictures of my own hairstyles & pictorials. With the encouragement from a few people to start a blog, I have stepped my self-care game up a notch, stepped into my purpose, and started the blog you are viewing now!
How does caring for you natural hair make you feel? Have you integrated self-care into your life? What other ways do you practice self-care on a regular basis. Would you like to see more posts regarding mental wellness? Let me know, and take care of yourselves! And as always please don’t forget to subscribe, comment, and share!